Wednesday 10 December 2008

A Narrowboat on the Bridgwater Canal

Not sure if this is going to work. But it's a video clip of a narrowboat having just left the Barton Aqueduct (as previously mentioned in a recent post) on the Bridgewater Canal. Somewhat less than two miles further on this narrowboat would have passed through Monton Village (where I live) and would probably have made its way at least onto the next village of Worsley.

This is from my archive of pictures and video clips I accumulated for a multimedia module within a recent higher education course I took. I had merged into the soundtrack some music by Paul Hardcastle as background. (So switch your PC speakers on!)

You will need the Adobe Flash Player plugin installed, which you should have anyway. To start just click on the right arrow.




(Well it eventually uploaded, though probably taken a good proportion of my blog disk space!). Works OK here, but won't go into Full Screen which is a shame.

I would appreciate some feedback on this experiment (including if and how you got it to display full screen), and if it's ok then I'll repost. Possibly could even post some more from my archive.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a shame. I was expecting a U-Boat to torpedo it!

I must admit I don't have any means of videoing things so I haven't any experience in that line. I can't afford a video camera, co I'm just a poor pensioner!

Kevin 'In Salford' said...

U-Boat? Torpedo? You rotten ****!
Admittedly not the most attractive narrowboat I've seen but they do tend to be rather camera shy. I've seen this one a number of times passing through under the Monton bridge, I think the owner teaches navigation etc to the other newer narrowboat owners.

The camera is a Sony Cybershot P72, and is getting a bit old now. It's a digital single shot with an option to take short video clips.

justin said...

Hi Kevin ~ I don't have a video camera either, but how about loading your video and music into YouTube ~ you can then get the reference code from YouTube to put into Blogger, to install the video clip onto your site. With YouTube you should be able to get a full screen picture, by pressing one of the buttons ... I imagine you will know all this from doing your course.

Kevin 'In Salford' said...

Yes I've noticed the use of YouTube on many blogg sites for linking to video clips.
What puts me off is posting my own serious stuff into a site which seems to have a bad reputation for disgusting material which is obviously intended for the self gratification of the uploader, and includes such things as 'Happy Slapping', serious motorway accidents, close up details of a knife attack, etc, - and therefore something I would prefer not to be associated with. (However, I have downloaded some music from there, so maybe I just might be persuaded to try a test? Having said that, there are also other lesser known pic/video archive sites).

BTW. My recent higher education course was 'Business Information Systems' and was biased towards the modern business environment and it's supporting requirements from IT/IS services. The multimedia module concentrated on such things as 'who is your target market, and what style of presentation would be most appropriate', 'what is the message you want to convey to potential customers', 'how will you illustrate effectively that message in a short multimedia presentation to be incorporated within the company's web site?'.
As such only 30% of the module was practical, which was effected by small groups creating a Flash MX presentation for demonstration and assessment. Our group chose the area of local tourist attractions, under the title of "The Waterways of Salford". Hence I went out and about around Salford with my (Sony P72) camera, and that's where my archive of pictures and video's come from.